The website visitors (or visitors for short) are the people who viewed one or more pages of a website. The number of website visitors and their interaction with the website can dictate the overall success of a business.
About the Latest Website Visitors
A website visitor is a person who enters/views a website, no matter the number of pages.
Web analytics tools such as Visitor Analytics, monitor the number of visitors and their type.
In the Visitor Analytics Visitors menu, users are able to access the following information:
- A list of the latest visitors with their type (new, returning and conversion visitor) and other relevant information about them
- Number of visitors by the hour and by weekdays
- The visitor map and location
All this information can be viewed with more details in the Visitor Analytics dashboard.
In the Visitor Analytics Latest Visitors menu the following list of information is displayed:
- Visitor location: a flag of the visitor’s country and a pin linking to map of the visitor's approximate location
- IP: the visitor’s IP, which can also be hidden by selecting “Anonymize my visitors' IPs” in the Website settings menu
- Status: New, Returning and Conversion Visitor
- Device: desktop, phone or tablet
- OS: Windows, macOS, Android, Linux or others
- Browser: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or others
- Visited pages: the last page visited plus an expandable list of the pages viewed by that visitor
- Time: how long ago the visitor was on the website
- The visitor's history on the website, showing what past webpages have been visited and when plus all the other information stated above.
How are the Latest Website Visitors Counted?
The process of retrieving data about the latest website visitors is the following:
When a person visits a website, their computer, smartphone or other types of devices exchange information with the website's server. Each web page is made up of multiple files and the server transmits each one of these files to the user’s browser (where the web page gets rendered). From this type of data, traffic can be monitored on the website's homepage and all the other webpages and also on segments of the site. This way analytics tools determine exactly how many visitors each segment receives.
Why are the latest website visitors important?
Website visitors are important as in most cases, they validate the success of a website. The more visitors a website has, the higher the brand awareness and chances of conversion.
The Latest Visitors tab in the Visitor Analytics menu provides real-time information about the newest website visitors. The number of website visitors can be increased through search engine optimization, online advertising, social media posting, guest blogging, and several other methods.