How to install Visitor Analytics on Wordpress
Two options. Same Result.
1. Go to your Wordpress Dashboard
2. Select the Plugins menu
3. Hit the Add new button
4. Now, you can browse through the plugins or search directly for visitoranalyticsio (easiest way), or you can also upload the plugin in .zip format, if you downloaded it before.
Get a better understanding of how to install the app, checking out the following video:
More than that, if you do not want to install the plugin, you can simply add a script (our tracking code) to the source code of your website, following these steps:
- Sign in to or register your Visitor Analytics account
- Add your website url and select your timezone
NOTES: If you are registering a new account, you will fill in the website URL during the process. We recommend you to copy the URL address from the address bar of your browser. This way you make sure that the URL is complete and correct and includes the protocol, if the case.
- Copy the Tracking Code generated by our app
- Log into your WordPress account
- Select Plugins from the left sidebar menu
- Click Add New and search for Header and Footer Scripts (or any other plugin that adds scripts to your website)
- Make sure that you install and activate it
- Click on the Settings from the left sidebar menu
- Select Header and Footer Scripts (or the plugin you have installed for this job)
- Paste your Tracking code into the Footer field and select Save settings (or somewhere in the body section would be even better, if possible)
Important note: If you do not want to use a plugin that allows you to add scripts such as Header and Footer Scripts, or the plugin isn't working for you, you can still track your self-hosted WordPress site by adding the tracking code to your theme's footer.php file.
Our recommendation is to open your theme's php file in the WP editor, and paste in your tracking code right before the closing </body> tag.
The process of installing an event tag to your Wordpress created website is the following:
1. Once you have filled out all the fields of your Event tag ( Category, Action, Label, etc.) and you click on Generate event tag a new page will appear where you can see the exact code of the event tag.
2. Once you have generated your new event tag, you need to integrate it within your website's source code, so that the application can track the firing of this event. Each created tag must be added within each individual element that you want to track. The code must be installed at the beginning of the code ( after <imput) that determines the tracked event.
Once this is completed you will be able to see the visitors that have accessed the specific area of your website in the Overview section of Event tracking.