DPA or the Data Protection Act 2018 (c. 12)
Details about the DPA
The bill has been in effect since May 25, 2018
The Act has seven parts. These are outlined in Section 1:
- This Act makes provisions about the processing of personal data.
- Most processing of personal data is subject to the GDPR.
- Part 2 supplements the GDPR (see Chapter 2) and applies a broadly equivalent regime to certain types of processing to which the the GDPR does not apply (see Chapter 3).
- Part 3 makes provisions about the processing of personal data by competent authorities for law enforcement purposes and implements the Law Enforcement Directive.
- Part 4 makes provisions about the processing of personal data by the intelligence services.
- Part 5 makes provisions about the Information Commissioner.
- Part 6 makes provisions about the enforcement of the data protection legislation.
- Part 7 makes supplementary provisions, including provisions about the application of this Act to the Crown and to Parliament.